On the North-western edge of Târgu Neamţ one can spot the Neamţ Fortress, a place of legend for all Romanians. Built at the beginning of the Moldavian State, during the reign of Peter Mușat (1375-1391), the fortress was one of the most important fortifications of the Medieval times.
The Neamţ Fortress was located in a strategic place, close to the highest peak of Pleşu Valley, and had to guard the road that crossed the mountain in Transylvania, from Târgu Neamţ to Pipirig, as well as Moldova and Siret rivers.
Because of its political and economic importance, the fortification was in the midst of major military conflicts and sheltered the fortunes of the Moldovan princes. One of the famous battles that took place here is that described by Costache Negruzzi in the novel “Sobieski and the Romanians”. In 1691, Polish King Sobieski retreated with the army home after a battle with the Turks and wanted to conquer the Neamţ Fortress. Although there were only 19 Moldovans in the fortress, they resisted heroically for four days in front of a much more numerous and better prepared army.
Neamţ Fortress was rehabilitated with European funds during 2007-2009 and presented to national and international tourism. Work has been carried out to modernize the access road, the entire architectural ensemble has been restored. There is a sewerage network and water supply and modern parking near the fortress.
Any tourist arriving in the area must see “the famous Neamț Citadel, surrounded by a desert, covered with lightning,” as Romanian writer Ion Creanga said. The difference is that now the former military objective is no longer surrounded by the wilderness, but by a beautiful forest.